I’ve lived in Los Angeles officially for 5 days and I still have to pinch myself every day. I wake up on my floor (IKEA WAS OUT OF THE 2 BEDS THAT I WANTED, I MEAN SERIOUSLY?) and look at my view of the Hollywood Hills. Then I remember that I need to get up and get ready for my job at BuzzFeed. Then I spend at least 5 minutes reflecting on the fact that I am legitmately living my dream and I try to make sure every day that I never, ever take it for granted. Then I wander downstairs to eat some FRESH avocado and thank them for existing.
I started work on Monday which was fine. I made it to work without even using my GPS so I figured I deserved some chocolate. I had to use my horn for the first time on Monday and it was a little scary. People use their horns here like it’s a way to just greet people. “Hey! It’s me! GTFO of my way! Okay bye!”
I really wish there were two types of horns. One that means, “Hey friend, the light has changed. Please observe! Have a great day!” and another that means something like “I WILL PERSONALLY VICTIMIZE YOU IF YOU DON’T MOVE RIGHT NOW.”
Before I moved here, several people told me how terrible Los Angeles is. Terrible traffic, terrible people, dirty, etc. Well I’m not sure what Los Angeles they were talking about but it wasn’t this one. Sure, there’s traffic. But there was traffic in Indianapolis, too. Sure, it can be a little dirty…that’s why I try to do my part to recycle and carpool when I can. And sure, some of the people have been less than welcoming, but that’s not to say that every single person in Indiana was always nice to me. Los Angeles, like any city, has several culturally rich areas and wonderful people. Most everyone I have met has been positively lovely. I LOVE LA FOREVER.
Last night, I played in my first dodgeball game outside of high school gym. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I mean the spots literally sold out in less than 20 minutes. Then we were just there playing. I thought I was ready until a ball came flying at my face and demolished the person next to me.
As I was playing, I noticed a guy with a face mask on my team. I thought he looked familiar but I mean…FACE MASK. Next thing I know, face mask man removed said mask to wipe his face and WHAT DO YOU KNOW it was actually Nick Wechsler aka Jack on one of my favorite shows Revenge. I was embarrassingly star struck at first until a ball came flying at my face and I flinched instead of trying to catch it and Mr. I’m On A Hit Show yelled at me at the top of his lungs and made me feel like an idiot.
This continued for the next two hours. Not him yelling at me, exactly. But he was SUPER into the game. Which is fine. But ya know, try not to be a jerk about it? I mean I know I wasn’t that good but it wasn’t like I was intentionally picking up balls and handing them to the other team. I mean I was TRYING you know?
I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he’s under a lot of stress and dodgeball is his way to de-stress and he didn’t mean it. RIGHT? RIGHT?!?!
Anyway, needless to say, I joined a league and now I need to get better at not flinching by tomorrow.
This past weekend, my roomie took us to do a little exploring. Turns out that I actually live steps from the theatre that the Oscars is filmed so I mean…brb wearing a diaper to spot celebs. (Jk, this isn’t NYE.)
I also tried a new sushi place which was absolutely amazing because they served their edamame in truffle sauce and I’ll never, ever recover.
This weekend I’m trying this new exercise called “CrossFlow.” Apparently it’s a mix between yoga and crossfit. Here’s hoping it’s more like yoga and less like crossfit.
Things I’ve Learned:
- I need to learn how to parallel park in the next 5 minutes.
- I have the same handprint size as Daniel Radcliffe did in 2006.
- I want to live at a flea market.
- Wall decals are actually a huge pain in my ass. OKAY “TAKES 5 MINUTES.” Liar.
- My body now consists of 97% avocado.
- It was 60 degrees last night and I was shivering. I know, I’m the worst.
- It’s actually possible to scald your tongue from french fries.
- I’m not a fan of people turning left. WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT? DON’T DO THAT.
- Celebrities are people, too. We all get frustrated during dodgeball games…
- THE FIVE GUYS RESTAURANT IN WEST HOLLYWOOD HAS AN ARTICLE FROM NUVO HANGING IN THEIR BATHROOM. Hi, Indiana.
- I’m not supposed to say that I like the San Jose Sharks.
- Everyone playing dodgeball was probably extraterrestrial because it’s pretty much not even possible to not flinch.
- Sleeping not on a bed isn’t even that bad.
- I love every second of my life here. Even the seconds being spent in traffic.