I think being a 20-ish something person is relatively hard…and I mean that in a “I’m constantly confused and lost and self conscious and struggling to find myself” kind of way. Not only are you dealing with the not so nice opinions of your peers on a day to day basis and the ridiculous standards set by celebrities and society… you’re also faced with the worst opinion of all: your own.
I’ve only been on this earth for 21 ish years and I’ve only understood the English language for like 18 ish years and I still can’t cope with the fact that we somehow strive to all be alike.
We all seem to want that “perfect” body and hair and face and house and car and clothing and jewelry. I could go on for hours, probably.
But I don’t get it.
Our differences…our unique traits…that’s what makes us beautiful.
I know… I’m practically gagging myself. But seriously…trying to fit into this world and have a self esteem is hard enough without bringing yourself down. You have to be on your own side.
YOU are not your pant size, or shoe size, or skin color. You aren’t your hair length or hair style or brand of jeans. You aren’t defined from the amount of attention you get on social media or the number of dates you have been asked on. You are the content of your character. You are the ambitions that drive you. You are the goals that you set for yourself. “You are beautiful and unique not for the shape of the vessel but for the volume of soul that it carries.”
Just a thought.
Things I Learned Today:
- I can’t say no to muffins.
- I need to stop looking at Victoria’s Secret magazines after eating said muffin.
- I still hate coffee.
- I still don’t know how to make coffee. I know. I know.
- I need to take more time in the mornings to actually brush my hair.
- I REALLY want there to be a cure for Alzheimer’s found so I’m pretty excited that I have a chance to do my part.
- Indianapolis is actually a pretty cool city even if it does have moody temperatures.