All my life I have been so focused on planning the future. I started applying to college as soon as my junior year finished. I started applying for summer jobs in November. I started trying to figure out my dream job at age 19. I even looked into securing a 401k plan…when I was 20.
All through college I was always so focused on the next big thing that I let a lot of college pass me by.
Now, it’s not necessarily a bad thing to be prepared. It’s great to have a plan and have some sort of direction and all of that deep stuff.
But it’s also equally important to enjoy the present.
Take a step back and stop looking ahead for a minute to enjoy exactly where you’re at.
I can’t tell you how many times I have become so frustrated after I once again changed my mind about what path I want my life to take.
Maybe the best thing to do is just stop trying to figure out where you’re going and just enjoy where you’re at.
Things I’ve Learned:
- It’s okay to ask for help when you can’t open your jar of jelly. It doesn’t mean you’re weak or you need a man or whatever. You just can’t get the lid off the jelly.
- The dorm likes to turn off the hot water at the exact time that I like to take a shower.
- I don’t understand how recycling bins work apparently. I keep trying to put paper in it then people stare at me.
- I slept through an eclipse. Good job LARA.
- I’m mastering celsius. It’s 27 today. Google it.
- The appetizer guy at Don’s (the bar on campus) knows to come to me first when new food is brought out. I think this is a huge accomplishment on my part.
- I tried my first ever Ben & Jerry’s and it was not worth the 12$.
- Pizza tastes good anywhere in the world. Except Little Caesar’s. That’s never happening.
- I think I am the only american that doesn’t like Thanksgiving food.
- People who have an “upperclass” status in England are called “posh.” I think. I’m still learning.
- Apparently some people put milk in their tea. I know, weird.
- The portion sizes here compared to America. WOW. When they say a “small” smoothie…they mean a SMALL smoothie. Take a hint, America.
- It’s adorable that Australia thinks they have a problem with fast food. Again, the portion sizes.
- I guess “studying” here is a thing.
- Australia doesn’t have “Texas Roadhouse” or “Golden Corral” so in other words, it’s heaven on earth.
- Grammar School is a real thing.
- There’s a very small supply of ranch dressing in Queensland and it’s absolutely beautiful.
- Bond Uni forces you to take surveys about your classes and teachers. They don’t make that stuff optional.
- Microsoft Word won’t accept that I have to spell “realize” with an s now.
- When I tell people I am studying abroad in Australia they instantly start singing that Men at Work song.