How is it already November 13? ( MY HALF BIRTHDAY JUST SAYING.)
I feel like it was just yesterday that I was trying to imitate every single accent I heard and figure out why organization was spelled with an s.
Now here I am, 5 weeks left (sob) and I’ve seen so much and have so much left to see.
I’ve gotten into a routine here. Bond has become my home. Every day I attempt to drag myself out of bed before 7 am which isn’t that hard for a couple of reasons:
- The sun rises at like 5:15 am. Just decides to rise. and it’s so bright. and there’s this crack in my curtain that lands directly on my eye ball. and the sun is like “Laraaaaa it’s a beautiful dayyyyy.”
- The birds. Seriously. Just because THEY wake up at 4 am ready to go doesn’t mean everyone else has to.
Today, I attempted to make it to a 5:30 am boxing class. I was up at 445. I ran up and down the hallway in an attempt to get some endorphins. Let’s just say I don’t GET people who can work out at like 6 am. No.
After dragging myself out of bed I attempt to make some breakfast without burning it. (I don’t cook. Ever.)
Then I go to some classes, maybe work out, maybe go to the pool and catch some rays, maybe film a red bull commercial (okay this only happened once but whatever)…
Then we all meet up for dinner, we laugh, we annoy people, and almost die from the sub par food with zero flavor.
- BYRON BAY BEACH HOUSE ADVENTURE. (first week of December with High Point U Boys)
- MAYDAY PARADE CONCERT DECEMBER 9th
- eating food with flavor when my care package comes in
- buying red lipstick
- Going to see the Christmas decorations in town even though it’s clearly summer
Meet my friends:
Shauna- Basically the british version of me. Except she thinks that cranberries are vegetables and that a hippopotamus is actually a rhinoceros. We met on facebook before I came and bonded over our mutual obsession with that terrible reality show called “The Hills.” She is always smiling and she has so much ambition. I want to be more like her. I just know we will be friends forever. There’s no one like SHAWN-UH Bull.
Alice- Alice is hilarious. No matter what, she always makes me laugh. You never know what she is going to say or do. She is brutally honest and has the best accent I have ever heard. She is the BEST partner for games ever. Completely unstoppable. She also has an extreme amount of knowledge about history and she’s terrified of goats.
Things I’ve learned:
- Australian food has no flavor. It’s like eating some plain pasta noodles. Who does that? Weirdos. I just want some fat/taste/spices/all things bad for you BACK IN MY FOOD.
- You know how in the states we have those “Ugly Christmas Sweater Parties?” Yeah so in the UK they wear those like…not to parties…but for real. I like it.
- Australians do NOT ride kangaroos around please don’t ever say that to someone.
- The maintenance men on campus steal towels. I KNOW. Who does that? My towel was causally drying on the balcony one day and the next day it’s gone. I can only assume it was the men who were mowing the lawn.
- There’s a lot of Australians that I have met that have never even been to Sydney. I thought that was so weird. Then they asked me if I’d ever been to New York City. Point made.
- No squirrels. I know. So sad.
- There’s a french island off the coast of Australia called New Caledonia. Don’t act like you knew that.
- Those things on the trees here that look like bananas are NOT bananas.
- I am now obsessed with red lipstick.
- Stress is pointless. Just live life. Take it one day at a time.
- I need to pay more attention when I’m walking. Walked into the wrong dorm room today. They were sleeping. It was awkward.
- Supposedly listening to classical music will help you concentrate on homework. Still waiting.
- Life doesn’t care if you’re having a bad day, week, or month. It keeps going. So should you.
- Flights within Australia are so reasonable. 130$ is usually the max round trip to get to places like Cairns and Sydney and Melbourne.
- Australian flight attendants are like the NICEST people ever. They genuinely enjoy their jobs I think. Weird, right?
- The girl at the smoothie place told me that my name was Lauren. I told her it was Lara and she said “That’s the same thing.”
- They don’t have raccoons in England. No little Meikos.
- Australia is thinking about making Chinese the second national language. EVERY Australian child will have the opportunity to study an Asian language by 2025.
- That red stuff that I’m always getting on my salad is beet root. So. Yeah.
- I might believe in horoscopes now. Maybe. A little.